Next year, Warner Bros’ DC movies will begin exploring the multiverse in Ezra Miller’s The Flash movie. Ben Affleck’s Bruce Wayne is returning with Michael Keaton’s Batman, who is playing an alternate version of the Dark Knight from the Tim Burton universe. But now Keaton has recently cast doubts over reprising the role in The Flash and an insider source, who should be taken with a pinch of salt, has previously claimed it’s possible that Christian Bale or George Clooney’s Batman could be persuaded to replace him.
Speaking with Deadline this week, Keaton spoke of his concerns over his busy schedule and the coronavirus situation in the UK were The Flash movie, directed by It’s Andy Muschietti, will be shot.
The 69-year-old said: “I am needing a minute to think about it because I’m so fortunate and blessed, I got so much going on now. I’m really into work right now. I don’t know why, but I am, and so, yeah, I mean, you know, to tell you the truth, somewhere on my iPad is an iteration of the whole Flash thing that I haven’t had time yet…
“I called them and said, ‘I have to be honest with you. I can’t look at anything right now. I’m so deep into this thing I’m doing. Also, I’m prepping a thing I’m producing and getting ready to do down the road in the fall that I’ll be in, and I feel responsible to that.’
“So, yeah, there is that. I’m not being cute or coy. If I talked about it, I’ll be just bulls****ing you. I don’t really know. I have to look at the last draft.”
Keaton, who turns 70-year-old this year, also admitted to Deadline his concerns over protecting his health from coronavirus.
The Oscar-nominee said: “To be honest with you, you know what worries me more than anything about all this stuff?
“It’s Covid. I’m more concerned. I keep my eye more on the Covid situation in the UK than anything. That will determine everything, and so that’s why I’m living outside the city here on 17 acres, staying away from everybody, because the Covid thing has got me really concerned.
“So, that’s my first thing about all projects. I look at it and go, is this thing going to kill me, literally? And you know, if it doesn’t, then we talk.”
Additionally, FandomWire’s sources reported at the time that The Flash’s producers want Miller’s Barry Allen to stop off in Nolan’s Gotham City in a scene in which Bale could feature.
But not only that, apparently both Clooney and Batman Forever star Val Kilmer have been approached to appear too.
Although in November, the Ocean’s 11 star told Empire: “It’s funny – you’ll notice they didn’t call me! Somehow I didn’t get that call.
“They did not ask for my nipples. Listen, there are certain things you never know. This one, I know [laughs].”
Who knows, maybe Clooney has been asked since? Just imagine all those previous live-action Batman stars returning for some multiverse mayhem.
Maybe they’ll even pay tribute to the last Adam West with a stop off in his zany 1960s Batman universe?
Miller’s solo movie is supposed to be a Back to the Future-style adventure so he’s hoping for some fun surprises.
The Flash is set to release in cinemas on November 4, 2022.