Over the weekend, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps unveiled the terrifying new missile, which was described as a “new generation of naval ballistic missiles bearing the name of Zolfaghar Basir”.
According to Tasnim news agency, the range is more than twice that of Iran’s other naval missiles, including the Hormuz-2, which has a range of 300km and was successfully tested in 2017.
The news agency did not specify whether the new missile had been tested yet.
Images of the missile on a launcher truck during the inauguration if Tehran’s National Aerospace Park appeared on Sunday.
During the ceremony, guards commander Major General Hossein Salami said: “This exhibition shows the comprehensive plan of the deterrent power of the (Islamic Republic’s) system.”
General Salami added the missile is the “most advanced and equipped with a warhead that has a range of 700km”.
Over the years, Tehran has revealed missiles with a similar range including the Zulfiqar surface-to-ground weapon which was used in the attack on the US forces at the Ain Al-Assad base in Iraq.
Tensions between the nations have intensified over recent months.
The US and Iran were on the brink of war back in January after Washington forces killed Iranian major general Qassem Soleimani during a missile strike in Iraq.
“Iran is the greatest threat to peace and security in the Middle East.”
Tensions have nearly reached boiling point between the countries, sparking fears of an outbreak of World War 3.
Washington has been seeking an extension of a United Nations (UN) arms embargo against Tehran, under the Trump administration.
This is set to expire in October under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal which the US withdrew from.
After abandoning the agreement back in 2018, Mr Trump has gone on to introduce a number of sanctions on Iranian oil exports which have crippled the economy.
Last week, the US said it would implement new sanctions on Iran over its nuclear weapons programme.
The Trump administration said the measures were being reimposed under the mechanism of a deal the US walked away from.
The UK, France and Germany said the US had no power to carry out its decision.
Iran responded by saying Tehran would “give a crushing response to America’s bullying”.